9.09.2008

ben folds and the nashville symphony



My friend Dave and I went to check out Ben Folds performing with the Nashville Symphony Sunday night at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. It was my first time in the new concert hall, and my first time listening to the Nashville Symphony, and it was all fantastic.

They kicked off the first third of the concert with some classical selections performed by the Symphony, under the direction of conductor Albert-George Schram... seriously one of the most hilarious and fun to watch conductors I've ever seen.

After a brief intermission Ben Folds joined the orchestra and played about 10 of his own songs, all brilliantly executed with some great orchestrations to accompany. Really fantastic, and Ben blew me away with his piano proficiency. He's a truly talented guy. The symphony sounded equally as great, and as Ben himself said, it was a night of really condensed talent with 90+ individuals who have dedicated their lives to mastering one unique instrument, and the resulting effect was phenomenal.

The audience begged for multiple encores, but were only successful in extracting a very beautiful version of "The Luckiest" from him. It sufficed.

So my first Nashville Symphony experience was great. Thanks to Dave for the ticket!!

No comments: